BESTIE LET ME TELL YOU!












Dear Bestie,

My memory belches unpleasant evocations strenuously entered into its reserves.

I recall for instance, the snake bite of my aunt, how frightful it must have been for her.

I recall my mother’s painful strokes, an astute testifier of using canes on kids, aha!

I recall my athletic cousin who duped us into emptying our pockets, only to vanish in the prodigal son’s manner.

I recall my step mother, locking up the corn stores so that we starved in my Dad’s absence.

I recall my aunt’s disappearance after facing the sharp knife that would end her education.

I recall the violence that erupted after one election period scattering us like frightened chicken.

I recall these things; 

I recall them with a remote lingering haziness that would rather be left alone.

I recall these and more, I recall the decisions that emanated from these moments.

These experiences were bearable, these memories, melancholic as they sound, are bearable. 

But Bestie, let me tell you:

This grotesque godly lady, for whom I work, detests my thinking, delineates my capacities, despises my glances, dehumanizes me.

I am the shoe rug at the entrance to her world.

I am the tree back on which she rubs her snort.

I am the bin into which she empties her aches. 

I am these and a lot more. 

For, what is a person without their intellect, without dignity, without honour?

It is:

As though I am a zombie intruding the human habitat.

 As though she might kill me with a stare.

 As though I came to eat her babies like a cannibal.

 As though I might slash off her enormous backside.

This, more than any other affliction, weighs down on me, it is terribly unbearable.

A million times, I have decided to respect myself and walk away.

But Bestie, how am I to feed my babies if I did?



By Sr. Esther Jeruto Koros OSF 



Dedicated to everyone working in unbearable conditions. All will be well, some day, let me tell you!

Comments

  1. Thanks Sr. Esther for your inspiring work. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irecall too....good work sister

      Delete
    2. Thanks alot and weldone

      Delete
  2. The day is coming, soon n very soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. The message is real life. Keep inspiring and encouraging people. Kudos Sr. Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow,i have decided to respect my self and walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations sr. Esther so inspiring and real

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is nothing but the truth. It is not wonder some of us in one way or the other have passed through. Be blessed Sr Es for the encouraging words

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tumetoka mbali

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ejok noi @ Sr. Essy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes all shall be bearable some day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the thorn is bearable and the pat is unbearable, it means the pat is a thorn and a thorn the pat. Some work conditions are better lived smiling otherwise, one will break

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Sr. Esther for an inspiration writing. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Sr. Truly you have said all. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guys, I deeply appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sr. Maureen Faustina Aniekwe, IHM13 July 2023 at 08:03

    Dehumanization is the act and language of those who lack self love and compassion.
    When human mind is trapped in selfish self, then nothing good is left for others outside self.
    Thank you very much, Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel the message for we grew together.
    Siz Sarah Koros

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always thrill with your reflections. Really concrete. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful sis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful Sister Esther

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Wow! I can't deny t fact that Ur if that stuff.
    Very thoughtful. Unalalanga kweli!
    Encouraging to many . KUDOS SR.
    Mola azidi kukubariki.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CALL POLICE!

BESTIE, IF THERE WAS A FATHER