MY FIRSTS

By Sr. Esther Jeruto Koros (OSF)









I was only four when my little brother was born

Frail and soft like wool, I wanted to hold him, Corn

With feet straightened out, seated perpendicular

For the first time, I realized people just appear

I asked where they got it from and when it would return

A smile of amusement, my mama said, babies don’t return  

That was my first lesson on life.

 

I was only five, when I saw the raindrops fall in solid mass

I kept some in my secret bag to show mum after mass

And for the first time, I realized things just vanish

I tried explaining my discovery, in disappointment and anguish

But she didn’t need the explaining at all

A smile of understanding, my mama said they’re called hail

That was my first lesson on magic.

 

I was only eight when I got ready for baptism

Come in white dresses holding candles, said him

And for the first time, I realized I might miss the rite

Because candles and dresses had to be timed right

Anxiety killed me at night, I would miss such a tangle

A smile of optimism, in the morning my mama handed me the dress and the candle

That was my first lesson on faith.

 

I was only thirteen when I thought my body gushed blood  

The end had come I thought, such a flood

For the first time, I realized bleeding happens unhurt

I still knew somewhere deep within was cut

I asked my mother;

A smile of affection, my mama said, ‘you’re now a woman’

That was my first lesson on womanhood

 

I was only seventeen, naively delightful and appealing

When whispers and notes crushed through the sealing

All miserably desperate, to make a candid match

Now grown we sat on the couch

A smile of anxiety, Mama said, ‘the queen must await her coronation.’  

That was my first lesson on patience.

 

So I know, my mama taught me right

I am just a simple girl, with a wonderful mother

Her wells of wisdom never run dry

My mama is the first god I knew. 

©October 2020

Comments

  1. Wow!!! I love this amazing piece. Weldone Sr. U are such a bundle of talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is well written. The poet is walking us through her journey of realization. The realization that comes in different measures and spheres. The realization that clears her doubts and leads to the next new discovery. A journey that is a perfect and complete growth process. I love the piece.

    Ayieko Jakoyo
    The Contemporary Scribe
    (Ex-Seminarian)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A learning session where a mother nurtures her daughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is why we respect our mum, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Mother always guide and provide answers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HAVE YOU SEEN HIM WHOM MY HEART LOVES?

LAME AS ME

BESTIE LET ME TELL YOU!