I Know What Poverty IS



I know where poverty is. 

I have seen him with my two eyes, a rich thing.

It is in the little stores cracked into my heels

Where we store devalued coins sometimes.  

It is on the ribs of my little brother

Bold, bulging, and dauntingly sharp.

It is in the bowed old shack that is my mother’s hearth  

Awaiting the wind’s command to give in and fall.

It is in the two black eyes seeping through my school dress,

Through which my backside breathes.

 

I know how poverty feels,

A constant nagging cry of insufficiency.

It is the dream valley whose sands drag the feet backwards,

It is the dejected face reprimanded undeservedly,

It is the violent terror that carries no weapons,

It is the fear of consuming a meal placidly

Because tomorrow is not assured.

It is the pain of inequality

That sends you drooling over a neighbour’s meal.

That drives away the shame of mockery.

 

Well, this poverty I have seen,

Is nothing compared to the one yonder.  

Of the wealthy man, whose son’s torso dangled, dead.

Whose wife stole away with the driver

Whose compound is devoid of laughter.

We decry the poverty from without

But this wealthy man’s poverty, I don’t envy.

The poverty within.



Sr. Esther Koros 

0726179789 

Comments

  1. It encourages me .To keep moving

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful beautiful work SR..u r blessed..u share the love through sharing knowledge.. keep up dear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fighting poverty one step at a time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely surreal and relatable

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Sr. Esther.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CALL POLICE!

BESTIE LET ME TELL YOU!

BESTIE, IF THERE WAS A FATHER