BESTIE, IF THERE WAS A FATHER



Dear bestie

Two decades are gone since we went into this teaching-ache.

I don’t know about you but, I have seen it all, my head aches.

I have watched them gain and lose, their height, weight, teeth.

I have seen them fall in and out of love, such doves getting hit.

I have amusedly watched the shock on their faces when hit by changes.

These changes are cruelly fast, some are painfully slow, tight hinges…


These I have witnessed, laughed and cried, worried and tired.

Not all wonderful though, the girls without Fathers….

They search for what they know not, all unfettered sisters,

They chase the sky, if just for a sigh, a man might be tender.

They read books and trust the scheme, the novelty to be slender.

They hope and dream and watch the movies, Hollywood trash!

They believe in magic, something mustn’t be so harsh, so hush!

The girls without Fathers, have denied and embraced ghosts.

They have made men out of women, and women out of men.

I can almost tell from the handwriting how broken they are.

Some at the summit of anorexia, anxiety complex, mental err.  

 Some have been abused by the only male they knew,

Some hate the world for not bringing something new,

But girls with Fathers, glow differently, understand differently. 

Girls with Fathers, feel safe flourishing confidently

 

Dear Bestie,

I am deeply convinced; the world would be different.

If there was a father, in every girl’s life.

If only just an old man, speaking wisdom to vide.

I am not sexist, I am not misogynistic, I am not chauvinistic.

Don’t come at me like that!

I just want the world healed, and it would. 

If only there was a father.

Bestie, aren’t we glad we have, or had Fathers?


Sr. Esther Jeruto Koros, OSF 

Comments

  1. Beautiful rendition. Thank you for reminding us all on the importance of family and especially the presence of a father in the lives of their children. The family is at the core of a stable.community, parish, country and world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting having a father is a need

      Delete
  2. Great Sr. Koros. Very true Father's are vital in girls growth and morals

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only my father was always present!
    Deep message indeed siz
    Sarah Koros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deep message. Importance of a complete family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sr. Maureen Faustina Aniekwe, IHM.20 July 2023 at 15:50

    "If there was a father "
    So touchy for me, for my very lovely dad died before I became a girl. I experience what it is to see, hear, and feel this poem"If there was a father ".
    Thanks a lot Sr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one...too unfortunate to us girls without a father..😢😢

      Delete
  7. It enjoyable especially on losing teeth...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CALL POLICE!

BESTIE LET ME TELL YOU!